Learn how to get rid of back fat, or the “Bra Bulge.”
My clients often will ask this question: “How do I get rid of this back fat – bra bulge?” It is annoying and embarrassing and no one wants fat hanging over their bra. I always recommend they reduce their body fat by doing cardio, strength training and a healthy diet. The combination of all three will get you closer and more quickly to your goals.
There are many exercises you can do to help get rid of back fat by toning and tightening this area. Some exercises require equipment, but I always try to provide exercises that most of us can accomplish at home with very little equipment.
Each exercise below is very effective. Including these into your exercise routine will help work off the back fat.
Lying pullover with one dumbbell is an excellent exercise for getting rid of back fat.
Executing the Exercise Properly:
- Pick up one weight 8-10 pounds. When lying back on the ball make sure your head, neck and shoulder blades are on the ball. Your knees will be bent at a 90 degree angle, glutes are tightened and abs must be pulled in to support lower back.
- Roll your shoulders down and away from your ears.
- Carefully with both hands on the weight and elbows soft extend the weight behind your head lowering down until you feel a stretch in the lats and upper back.
- While engaging your abs pull the weight up towards the ceiling until it is directly over your shoulders. Now repeat lowering back down behind you.
- The pullover targets your lats (latissmus Dorsi) but you are also strengthening your core and working the glutes because you are in a bridge posture on the ball.
3 sets of 12-20 reps
As an alternative, beginners can do this lying down on the floor with knees bent.
Pilates Swimming Exercises will also help to get rid of back fat
- Image (1) – Lie down in prone position with arms extended over head and palms down. Drawn your belly button in as you raise your upper body slightly off the floor squeezing your glutes to protect your lower back. Breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth while fluttering your arms.
- Image (2) – Lift legs and arms at the same time with belly drawn in and glutes tight. Flutter arms and legs breathing in and out throughout the exercise.
Do 3 sets of 10-20 reps.
Note: When we gain weight, genetically that weight will go to certain areas of the body. By working out with cardiovascular exercises at least 3x a week, adding in the weights for building muscle and toning, and working your core you will see a change in your body composition.
By adding in these targeted back fat exercises and performing them at least 3x a week you will start to see a leaner, more toned and stronger looking back.