Yoga or Pilates – which one is for you?
What is Yoga?
The roots originated from Hindu Religion thousands of years ago
Benefits of Yoga: restores energy, provides strength and flexibility , stress reduction
Most popular forms of Yoga Practice
1. Hatha Yoga
- Relaxation and flexibility poses that focus on stretching tight areas, strengthening weak areas and bringing balance to the body and mind.
2. Ashtanga or Power Yoga:
- Rigorous and athletically challenging poses selected generate a tremendous amount of heat through increasing complexity.
Postures taught in a thoughtful, step by step process that emphasizes the breath initiating the movement and flowing through each movement, adapting the poses to individual needs.
- Encourages a precise understanding of personal posture dynamics by practicing a small number of poses and introducing breath work after movements are mastered.
What is Pilates?
- 1. Exercises method combining Yoga, Gymnastics, Dance and Calisthenics.
- 2. Developed by Joseph Pilates 90 years ago designed to improve posture and create an overall balanced, healthy body.
- 3. Core focus (powerhouse) is the key to proper muscle use
4. Key mat-work Principles
- Concentration (mind, body connection)
- Control (purpose and function)
- Powerhouse (core focus)
- Fluidity (smooth controlled motion vs. uncontrolled movement)
- Breath (stabilization requires full inhalations and full exhalations)
- Scooped Abs or navel to spine – is the act of pulling your navel down toward your spine and imagine it moving up into the ribcage by engaging abdominal muscles to create a cooped feeling in the belly offering strength and support.
Million Dollar Salad
6 cups washed Spring Lettuce Mix
2 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
1 cup diced green apple
1 can mandarin oranges (1 cup)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup fat free Italian salad dressing
1/2 cup orange juice
Toss all ingredients together except dressing and orange juice. Combine the orange juice and salad dressing thoroughly, and add to the salad. Mix the salad well until well mixed. Serve immediately.
281 calories per serving
41.7 g carbohydrate
5.7 g protein
10.3 g fat
5.6 g fiber
59.4 % calories from carbohydrate
8.1 % calories from protein
Okay, there are many ways to treat age spots. “Which is the best way?” you may ask. My answer to this is based on my own personal experience. Coming from the fact that I had during my last pregnancy with the twins – pregnancy mask. What is pregnancy mask? A increase in pigmentation which appears on the nose, cheeks and upper lip of the face caused primarily from an increase in hormonal levels. This hyperpigmentation was so severe in that my upper lip looked as if I had a moustache. I thought it would only be temporary, but it continued year after year and worsened from sun exposure. I went to my dermatologist over 10 years ago and he used nitrogen to freeze the larger spots off. This treatment removed the age spots but, also left me with white pigmented area on my cheeks which is now permanent.
I have listed below many different options for treating pigmentation. Which one is best? - well my answer is - do your own research. Some are very expensive and take several sessions. Depending on your skin type you may find that these treatments will cause irritation which then develop into more side effects and problems for your skin. Skincare is tricky and not one formula will work for all.
Popular Treatments For Hyperpigmentation:
- Intense Pulsed Light – IPL
- Laser resurfacing
- Hydroquinone Creams
- Acid Peels – not as popular anymore
- Microdermabrasion – home scrubs or professional with crystals and now diamond tips treatments
- Physician Formulas (you can get these from your Dermatologist, Cosmetic surgeon) - Avita, Renova, Retin A, Kinerase
FACT: Getting on a good skincare system that will keep you from getting more discoloration is the best formula as long as you are diligent with using it and protecting your skin from those free radicals – sun damage. Below is an excellent skincare system that will help with all stages of discoloration (pigmentation). The price is reasonable in that it is a complete system and it will last 3-4 months or more.
“If you are interested in a company that makes high quality skincare, innovative personal care and/or supplements, please click here.”